Paris Peace Accords 23 Oct. 1991

Friday, November 28, 2014

Postcard from Steung Meanchey



After a an especially tough few days, I went to check in on our family of 9 (see below posts). 

Everyone was there (first photo), including granny and her 10 year old grandson; they were in the city scavenging when I first met the rest of the clan. 

As you can see, they are in great spirits. I talked with Granny about the end of her scavenging days, the grandson starting school next week and how he is looking forward to trying out a computer. 

The first wee girl I found adopted me as her new best friend and she stuck to me like glue. She stood balancing on my legs (last photo) with an unblinking stare into my eyes and, like a tiny epiphany, she immediately reminded me why I was here. 

There's a thunder storm outside and I'm sitting here in my home office feeling contented that all 9 are happy, secure and under a brand new roof. 

Our Community team will soon start working on a plan that leads the mother and grandmother to financial independence, and leads the children to a great education. I have a new best friend and the world seems back in balance.




No comments:

Post a Comment