Paris Peace Accords 23 Oct. 1991

Friday, February 19, 2016

Theary Seng's initial response to Nate Thayer's In Defense of the War Criminal Henry Kissinger


Protest sign approved by Hun Sen during President Obama's 2012 visit to Cambodia
Protest sign during President Obama’s 2012 visit to Cambodia

Re: In Defense of the War Criminal Henry Kissinger

 Nate Thayer | 17 February 2016

It's too early in the morning to be provoked, but here we are. I'm very surprised to see this from a reputable journalist whose writings I've really enjoyed and appreciated for their insight and depth. Very disappointed with this one, however. I will return to this article and read it with more care because it is by Nate Thayer. But I will quickly respond to this photo as it is easy and concerned me, as I was stopped from perusing the article further.

The caption reads "Protest sign approved by Hun Sen during President Obama’s 2012 visit to Cambodia".

If "approval" means having two thugs visited me at my home (where this photo is displayed), waiting for me as I was just returning home (I think from a Kirirom trip) at 8 pm, me quietly contacting the UN Human Rights office as FYI -- they asked if I wanted them patrolling my neighborhood; I said no, as I didn't want to give credence to the intimidation; I saw the white UN SUV once passing by anyway), me quietly checking into a hotel for a night, having 30-some security chiefs waiting for me to prevent me from holding up this sign in front of the US embassy, resulting in a stand-off for almost an hour and almost had me beaten up by a group of "3rd hands" hiding in the Wat Phnom shroud. Al Jazeera told me that these 30 security chiefs only arrived after I posted a message on FB that I'll be arriving with my protest signs (the other of Khieu Samphan -- upon re-reading my account, it was Meas Muth). And what the assault along the riverfront in front of the FCC the day before... If this is "approval", I need to relearn English.

On the larger topic of Kissinger as war criminal and the Cambodians' blame game, I will need a few more cups of coffee for aid before responding. For now, suffice it to say: Yes, Kissinger is a war criminal; the US bombings were a major factor in creating the condition for the rise of the Khmer Rouge, and we Cambodians ourselves in our daily conversations blame our leaders, even as we blame unlawful intervention and invidious influences of foreigners.

Seen and heard on Ms. Theary C. Seng's Facebook accounts: 
www.facebook.com/theary.c.seng


1 comment:

  1. Re: "...Then Cambodia essentially disappeared from the map in the mid 19th century. Then the French showed up and took control of an area they renamed Indochina which comprised modern-day Laos, Vietnam, and Cambodia. The French recreated geographical sovereignty for a newly mapped Cambodia–literally salvaged it from the dustbin of history. And Cambodia was given a second chance...."

    What was N. Thayer having when he wrote that article [to trash Khmer]?

    ReplyDelete