Dr. Os Guinness: "A Free People's Suicide"
[Os Guinness starts speaking after intro at 9:30 min.]
[Before starting his talk on Freedom, Os made remarks about the Religious / Christian Right that are worth capturing in print: (i) theological unfaithfulness, (ii) political ineffectiveness, and (iii) cultural counter-productiveness. "The Religious Right is one of the main factors stoking anti-religious, anti-Christian sentiment..."]
"...always free, free always"
1. Winning freedom - where Cambodia is at.
2. Ordering freedom.
3. Sustaining freedom - by far, the hardest - where the US is at.
- Yes, Constitution, but more... AND
- "Golden Triangle of Freedom": (i) Freedom requires (ii) virtue, which requires (iii) faith, and faith requires freedom.
Three Menaces to Freedom:
1. External menaces.
2. Polybius "corruption of customs" "habits of the heart"
3. Passing of time, "the injury of time" for fall of Rome.
Three Shifts from Founders:
1. Privatization of religion.
2. Rise of "proceduralism" or "legal secularism" (Rawls)
3. Rise of "post-modernism" (no truth, will to power)
1. Alienation of leaders.
2. Breakdown of transmission of American virtues
e.g. public education (custodians of handing down American virtues), immigration (citizenship education)
3. Corruption of customs.